I had a rather scary moment this morning! I had lit a little stub of a candle to help me focus as I went on with my work this morning, and turned my back to it while I proceeded with work at my desk. After a few hours, I suddenly heard this loud “pop!” and a clatter. The candle had burnt down into the holder itself and the heat shock made the crystal explode.
Yes, this was a leaded crystal candle stick, so I am a little upset that I let it shatter (I keep telling myself it was only a $2 Goodwill find). But I am thankful I learned this lesson. From now on, I get candles out of glass holders before they burn to nothing.
I have found that porcelain holders can usually withstand a complete burnout, and obviously non-lead metal holders (usually!) won’t melt or fracture under heat shock. Still, it’s often a better bet to remove the candle before it melts to the level of the holder itself…if only to help with cleanup!